Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Trails of Nature - 2

Dear friends,

Today you are welcome for birding in my own courtyard. There is a window in my study overlooking a combined bush of Hibiscus and Ixora. I never found both these plants interesting, but in the afternoon they are frequented by some visitors for nectar.

On separate days I could click Mr and Mrs Loten's Sunbird. These birds are 10-12 cm long and seen extensively in Southern Peninsular India and Srilanka. They feed on tiny insects and are often seen hovering around flowers for nectar. Their long bill distinguishes them from Purple Sunbird.


The male birds are glossy purple colored with grey brown belly. He was closely followed by his girl at that time. They must be having a nest nearby which I couldn't find (they flew off hastily sensing my intrusion).


The females lack the purple color altogether. They are yellowish brown with yellowish underparts.


It seems the female enjoyed the photoshoot with me! Look how she is posing for me.

The breeding season is Nov to March in India (Wiki information), the nest is often seen as a suspended bag of cobwebs, twigs and grass.

Look out for them in your garden and I am sure you will find them.

1 comment:

  1. Hi swapna

    wonderfully captured photos of birds

    and very useful information

    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete